4/11/13 Long Lake (northern Hamilton Co.)

A Hermit Thrush arrived today outside our house - the earliest arrival date
for this location.  (This may also be a new early record for Hamilton Co.)
A Fox Sparrow could be heard singing all morning.  Hundreds of Dark-eyed
Juncos continue to surround our house in addition to hundreds of redpolls (2
female Hoary Redpolls were observed perched outside our kitchen window).  I
am going through huge amounts of bird seed each day.  With all the arrivals,
migrants, irruptives, and year-round birds (20 species), it sounded like a
jungle over the baby monitor.

I encountered a very vocal Gray Jay this morning giving a call that I've
heard them give near their nest sites.  Their young should be fledging in
about a week and a half.

Lorraine Pine reported 2 Red-necked Grebes and 1 Horned Grebe at the south
end of Long Lake where the water is opening up.

4/10/13 Blue Mountain Lake & Long Lake (northern Hamilton Co.)

A Fox Sparrow was singing outside our home.  I found a Red-necked Grebe on
Long Lake observed from the beach (near the bridge).  Lorraine Pine found
one at the south end (about 4 miles from the one I observed).  Lorraine also
observed 2 Common Loons at the south end of Long Lake. A Merlin was observed
at the Long Lake ball field.

I had to travel to Glens Falls, and on the drive home, I stopped at the
marsh by Lake Durant in Blue Mountain Lake.  There was a pair of American
Black Ducks and a pair of Wood Ducks on a small brook at the edge of the
marsh.  The Black Ducks were vocalizing non-stop.  As I watched them, a Mink
came charging across the snow and swam at them!  The Black Ducks teamed up
with the Wood Ducks in a huddle - and the Wood Ducks also began to vocalize.
The chaos ended when the Mink went off hunting into the snowy marsh.  I
watched the Mink for over 30 minutes - the longest I have been able to watch
this active weasel species.  It kept finding openings in the snow and would
drop into the water - then reappear and shake off like a dog!  It appeared
to be eating small prey, but finally (after a half hour), it emerged with a
huge fish and bounded across the snowy marsh for the forest.  It had to swim
across the brook.  It came out of the water, took the fish up a snowy bank
and dropped it, then raced back to the brook and caught another large fish
(which I assume it spotted when it swam across with the first fish).  It
dropped that fish on the snow and then rolled around and around in the snow
(as my dogs used to do) then picked up both fish and ran into the forest.  I
was surprised that such a large fish was found in such a shallow marsh.  I
was so thrilled to be observing the Mink, that I ignored a Belted Kingfisher
that was perched on the wire near my car and fishing in the brook.  I could
hear it splashing into the brook, but I never took my eyes off the Mink!

Joan Collins

Long Lake, NY