On Sunday, the good warbler birding continued in Forest Park Queens NY.  In
all a total of 20 species of Warblers were recorded in the Park.
Noticeably, the volume of birds were down significantly from Friday when
the bird songs overwhelmed the woods but the variety remained good.

Although, you had to work harder to get the variety of birds, I and a few
other birders were quite impressed with the number of Cape May Warblers
that were around.  Many birders spoke of seeing or nearing double digits of
this species with 10-12 being the high count reported by a few birders who
covered quite a bit of ground in the park.  There were also multiple
sightings of Bay Breasted with a high of 4-5 seen by a few birders.

One puzzling occurrence for many of the long time Forest Park birders was
the lack of activity in the late afternoon at the famous "waterhole".
Several birders shared with me that the MO used to be Jamaica Bay in the
morning and Forest Park water hole in the afternoon where a 20 warbler
species count was easy on a good day at that location.

I am fascinated at the changes taking place with the pattern of birds using
the waterhole and wonder what has affected the change the long time birders
of the park have noticed.  One theory one birder cited was that the birds
are not staying as long as they used to and seem to be long gone by the end
of the day.  Another was that there are less birds around.

If you wish to share any of your insight on why birds are not staying
longer in the midst of migration through places like Forest Park or why the
change in the lack of activity at the waterhole, please drop me a note
offline.

Thanks

Andrew Baksh
Queens, NY