Hempstead Lake SP 14 May

After virtually no migrants, last Thursday brought the first relief. Friday was
also productive and since then, things have gradually tapered off. However,
each successive day did bring in a few new species. The warbler assortment has
been so-so with nothing unusual. What is most noticeable is a lack of singing,
so birding is difficult as the trees are mature, very tall and beginning to
leaf out.   We did have our first SOLITARY SANDPIPER  this morning.

                    Marine Nature Study Area  14 May

Today we had a mix of shore birds consisting of SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, SPOTTED
SANDPIPER, LEAST SANDPIPER, DUNLIN, SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER  and our breeding
WILLETS. Unfortunately, we did not see a Clapper Rail, but the marsh birds were
present, namely: SEASIDE SPARROW, SALTMARSH SPARROW and MARSH WREN. An almost
all white LITTLE BLUE HERON was present (look the Snowy Egrets over carefully).
FORSTER'S TERNS are seen both flying over and resting on the marsh puddle to
the west of the pond. No Common Terns. They rarely come here, but stay on the
marsh islands or further south on the barrier beaches, both areas where they
breed .

Sy Schiff