Jones Beach West End 8 June

I met Bob Anderson at the Coast Guard Station. The storm brought nothing to the
site. We then walked out to the inlet. Ditto. There was  an immature
RING-NECKED PHEASANT on the lawn of the entrance road to the station.
Presumably, we have a breeding pair on the west end.

The swale, now a big lake, had about 40 SEMIPALMATED  SANDPIPERS and 1
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER feeding on the east edge. . A female GADWALL flew out of
the "lake" as we approached.The upper area is roped off and appears to have a
Least Tern colony, as there were many resting on the sand.

Down on the beach, there were 5-6 second? year LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS.
Nothing was visible over the ocean. Returning to the marina, we found 50
shorebirds on the bar, half and half SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER and RED KNOT. Other
shorebirds seen today included PIPING PLOVER, KILLDEER, 1 SEMIPALMATED PLOVER,
AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER and WILLET.

Sy Schiff