16 Dec.

Joe Giunta, Sam Jannazzo and I (Sy Schiff) spent this morning at Jones Beach .
Across the inlet, there were 20 AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHERS; on this side DUNLIN
and SANDERLING; in the water, both LOONS, BUFFLEHEAD, LONG-TAILED DUCK and
RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS. BONAPARTE'S GULLS were feeding in the boat basin and
close in along the marina board walk. Small birds were mostly lacking in the
median.

Moving over to the beach, we scoped 2 SNOWY OWLS, one east and one west of
where we came onto the beach. A GREAT BLUE HERON flew east hugging the
shoreline. That was a surprise. Returning via the swale, we encountered a flock
of HORNED LARKS with a single LAPLAND LONGSPUR. A large flock (125+) of SNOW
BUNTINGS swirled over the parking lot as we were leaving, briefly landing.

In spite of the freezing temperature and brisk wind, this was Winter birding at
its best.

Sy