Hi all,
I've been getting a few emails asking for directions to the spot where we
have seen the Virginia Rail. So I will try to describe it.

Walking in from Central Park West and 103rd Street entrance, head down the
path going down to the NE end of the pool (straight down the hill) cross
the rustic bridge and make a left down the stairs to the stone arch. Keep
walking with the stream on your left, walk over the second rustic bridge
(the main stream still on your left), hang left and walk down the paved
path to the second wood chip path on your left leading down to the stream.
The jewel weeds are on the opposite side of the stream and that is where
the Rail was showing.

As far as I know the Rail has only been seen late in the afternoon. There
is a lot of foot traffic in the area during the morning with people and
dogs (many off the leash). So, you might have a better chance of seeing it
at the end of the day.

Google map:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/landp/9728668814/

Google Street view of what the spot looks like:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/landp/9728530525/

Good Luck,

Anders Peltomaa
Manhattan