Although I've been to Muttontown Preserve (Nassau co.) many times in other
seasons for other reasons, I can't remember ever checking it for fall
migrants. With the wind kicking up on the beach around midday, the time was
right to try it. With sparrows everywhere in recent days, it was no surprise
finding lots of them here. Most notable were two VESPER SPARROWs around the
horse corrals, making up for missing the one that Tom Burke's group found at
Jones Beach. Also present were 3 Eastern Bluebirds, mainly interesting in
contrast to their rarity along the barrier beach (except extreme western
Long Island). I posted a picture of one at my web site
http://www.stevewalternature.com/ . Yea, it's a common bird in the grand
scheme of things, but I need to do an update sometime.

Steve Walter
Bayside, NY