From: bounce-111101173-46591...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-111101173-46591...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Angus Wilson
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 8:49 PM
To: NYSBIRDS-L
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] are Snowy Owls really primarily diurnal hunters??

As others have said already, being a high-arctic breeder Snowy Owls really have
no choice but to hunt in daylight because there is little or no night during
the summer. This, I would guess, is what the textbooks are referring to. The
opposite will be true during the winter for the many birds that stay north,
when the night is long. Also the owls will have the prey to themselves when
strictly diurnal competitors such as Rough-legged Hawk and Golden Eagle are
roosting. So to persist in the far north the species must be quite flexible
relative to other owls and this would come in handy when birds irrupt southward.

Speaking from a coastal perspective, I've never seen a wintering Snowy actively
hunting during the day time. They certainly move around, occasionally spar with
others when present, dodge attacks from Short-eared Owls or hawks and are
generally vigilant but don't seem to be hunting per se. I've routinely seen
them become much more active at dusk, presumably in preparation for a night of
hunting. It would be interesting to hear if this rest up during the day and
hunt by night holds true for birds wintering on farmland where they target
different prey from those on the coast.

Many will remember the Snowy Owl that frequented Piermont Pier (Rockland Co.)
in Februrary 2007. This bird dined on Ruddy Ducks snatched from the sheltered
bay, bringing them back to a perch where the pile of discarded heads and feet
attracted a most splendid adult Ivory Gull. My recollection was that the owl
fed mostly at night but maybe someone can confirm or refute this. A priori, it
would seem a lot easier for the owl to swoop down on roosting ducks (and as
we've heard roosting gulls) under the cover of darkness when it has the visual
advantage. Phil Jeffrey has posted pictures (albeit gory ones) of the polishing
off a stiff tail.

http://philjeffrey.net/piermont2.html
Bottom line, individual Snowy Owls can probably adapt their feeding/roosting
cycles to fit the available prey. I imagine they also hunt less and roost more
if food is easy to acquire during optimal periods. With so many owls around
this year, it would interesting to learn from field observers what the current
birds (largely immatures by the fact that most are very heavily barred) are
feeding on and when they do so. One more reason to view from a distance and let
them to do their thing.
Angus Wilson
New York City
Subscribe, Configuration and