The other day I was perusing the latest catalog from Buteo Books and saw
that there was a new monograph published last year with the title "The
Snowy Owl". Here is the description and a link to it at Buteo Books here in
case someone wants to check it out.

"The Snowy Owl - possibly the world's sexiest bird - needs little
introduction. This massive white owl breeds throughout the Arctic, wherever
there are voles or lemmings to hunt, from Scandinavia through northern
Russia to Canada and Greenland. Southerly movements in winter see North
American birds travel as far south as the northern United States, while
infrequent vagrants on the Shetlands and other northern isles are a magnet
for birders. The Snowy Owl gives this popular bird the full Poyser
treatment, with sections looking at morphology, distribution, palaeontology
and evolution, habitat, breeding, diet, population dynamics, movements,
interspecific relationships and conservation, supported by some fabulous
photography and the art of Jackie Garner. A major strength is the
availability to the authors of Russian literature, which is generally out
of reach for Western scientists."

http://www.buteobooks.com/product/13826.html

Thanks Ardith for starting this discussion.

Anders Peltomaa
Mannahatta