I decided to check some of my favorite Roslyn Hotspots today. Gerry Park
had six *Gadwalls, *eighty *Mallards*, including an albino female,
twenty-six *Canada Geese*, and the resident pair of *Mute Swans.* Two *American
Coots were also present.* On the ice, there sat 100 *Ring-billed
Gulls, *accompanied
by 18 *Herring Gulls* and a lone *Greater Black-backed Gull. *After
recording these, I headed to my next favorite spot, Tappen Beach.

There at Tappen, the gulls were quite prolific. I could not count the
numerous *Ring-billed *and *Herring Gulls, *but I succeeded in recording
two *Greater Black-backed Gulls*. Four *Mallards* swam in the turbulent
water, and a lone *Gadwall *floated around. 24 *Canada Geese* were also
present.

The highlight of the day was certainly a lone, juvenile *Tundra Swan* that
was hanging out around Tappen. That as a lifer, but the real accomplishment
was identifying it through my constantly foggy binoculars (I was scared to
bring the scope out in the howling wind and two feet of snow).

Good Birding,
Avery Scott

--
*Yours, *
*   Avery*

"The assumption that animals are without rights, and the illusion that our
treatment of them has no moral significance, is a positively outrageous
example of Western crudity and barbarity. Universal compassion in the only
guarantee of morality."

--Arthur Shopenhauer