At Shinnecock Inlet this morning, the large number of gulls included 2
(perhaps 3) immature Iceland Gulls and almost certainly 2 Glaucous Gulls.
Three male Boat-tailed Grackles were on Dune Road at the Ponquogue Bridge
access, displaying a little to each other.  A Snowy Owl was in the marsh
west of the bridge, near the edge of the bay.  West of Docker's Restaurant,
the Black-crowned Night Heron was conspicuous, but I failed to find an
American Bittern.

The Black Vulture was atop the chimney of a house almost opposite the
church on Sound Avenue at Church Lane. No birds of note were present at the
buffalo farm on Roanoke Avenue when I stopped there. Further west, a scan
of EpCal from several points yielded nothing. On Long Island Sound, viewed
from Park Road and Hulse Landing Road, only expected species were seen.  A
Merlin and two Northern harriers were along Hulse Landing Road.

Doug Futuyma
Stony Brook