Hi all,
This morning I spent about 1 1/2 hour birding the midsection of
Central Park. I started at the SW corner of the Reservoir and walked
the south side, along which I found 4 each of Black-crowned
Night-herons and Great Egrets. On the water there was a Pied-billed
Grebe, uncommon for this time period.

The big surprise of the morning I found on the East side of the Great
Lawn, where I heard an unusual call that first didn't click with my
brain. Luckily the bird called again and triggered the right neurons -
RED-HEADED WOODPECKER.

Looking up I quickly found the white-black-and-red bird high up in an
oak tree. It was a stunning adult and its color was like an explosion
in the brilliant morning light.

The woodpecker kept high in the trees and moved around, each time it
flew a little bit more to the North. I last saw it near the 86th
Street transverse, East of the basketball and volleyball courts.
Hopefully the birders who responded to my alert will re-find it and
more people get to see it.

good birding,

Anders Peltomaa
Manhattan