17 species of shorebirds today. The highlight was the continuing *AMERICAN
AVOCET, **LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER* *(found by Tom Burke, Gail Benson and
Bob), *a couple of *WESTERN SANDPIPERS* AND *RED KNOT.*

Other notable shorebirds included Ruddy Turnstones and White-rumped
Sandpiper.

The turn over was evident with several notable factors. Including the
arrival of several juvenile Least Sandpipers. Yesterday, I observed the
first  juvenile Lesser Yellowlegs. Speaking of Lesser Yellowlegs, yesterday
Tom, Gail, Bob and I observed what was the highest count of Lesser
Yellowlegs. Around 25 with the majority on the north end.

Today they were non existent with most of them gone. In mulling over the
turnover with Tom Burke, I recalled yesterday when I was counting them,
that most of the Lesser Yellowlegs were bulked up, which was interesting to
me because the numbers of Lesser Yellowlegs have been paltry on the pond.

It left me wondering about another nearby resource where these birds
fattened up and the East Pond was just a quick pit stop. I briefly
discussed this observation with Steve Walter and Shai Mitra. They shared
some insights and encouraged continuing the documenting observations like
this. I should add that both Yellowlegs have been in low numbers on the
pond thus far this season.

Other birds that appeared to have pulled out included STILT and PECTORAL
SANDPIPERS. Both were seen yesterday but not today.

A reminder to visitors, KNEE HIGH WADERS folks. Also, stay away from the
north east corner, it is soupy mud and VERY tricky to navigate. One false
move and you are down.

Good shorebirding!

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain
Sun Tzu <http://refspace.com/quotes/Sun_Tzu>  *The Art of War*
<http://refspace.com/quotes/The_Art_of_War>

(\__/)
(= '.'=)

(") _ (")

Sent from somewhere in the field using my mobile device!

Andrew Baksh
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com