Hi Rich and all,

The Line Islands aren't what they used to be. Pat and I visited with John
Zarudsky from the Town of Hempstead on 29 July 2011 (by the way, somebody ought
to call Shane Blodgett and ask him if he remembers that day!) and spent some
very enjoyable time around Egg Island and North Line Island. I haven't yet
eBirded my notes from that era, but the flats near Egg Island held around 400
Short-billed Dowitchers and the margins of North Line hosted around 400
Semipalmated Sandpipers, all adult. We saw no godwits or Whimbrels. According
to our own impressions and John's experienced testimony, the configuration of
the flats has changed greatly over several decades since this area's glory days.

This is the same old story for so many coastal shorebird hotspots, which tend
to show extreme changes in productivity over a variety of time-scales. The West
Pond at Jamaica Bay was lost overnight, but the critical habitat features of
many others fade almost imperceptibly over years or decades, as at the Line
Islands, and also two other pillars of late 20th Century Long Island
shorebirding: Cedar Beach and Democrat Pt. Very occasionally the coastal
dynamism manages a feeble bid for symmetry in its impacts, as in our gaining
productive new habitat at Sunken Meadow. Almost always, however, this is
impossible, for a variety of more or less perverse reasons. The main one is
that when a formerly superb site becomes less good: (1) resource managers lose
the ability to protect it for the special features that used to be there (and
would, if they could, cycle back there again); (2) various human interests
swoop in and step on it, hard; (3) five or ten or twenty years later, when if
left alone it would have cycled back into productivity, it is no longer
ecologically resilient enough to do so.

Think about the West Pond. This is a once in a generation opportunity to
subvert the ratchet and make things better!

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore