The weather says winter, but the birds said spring. Pulling into the Walker
Street parking lot the first bird to greet me was an Eastern Phoebe.
Walking over the bridge just west of the parking lot, a Gray Catbird sat
out on a wild rose bush feeding and preening. Walking north on the paved
pedestrian I started my vigil for two warblers, Nashville and
Orange-crowned. They did not disappoint.  Both appeared around noon feeding
on the cattails growing in the marsh on the northside of the parking lot
and keeping company with one another. Some other birds noted were: Rusty
Blackbird, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Winter Wren, Swamp Sparrow and an
American Tree Sparrow seen there yesterday.
Robert A. Proniewych