I forgot to post this on the day of the sighting (Thu., Feb 19th).

Around 4:45, I picked up my son from private soccer training at the Central Islip campus of NYIT. While driving out of the main campus road, we observed a large black bird pecking at something in the snow. It turned out to be a Common Raven. We enjoyed views of it from the car at a distance of only 10 feet. It stared at us intently, you could see the intelligence in its eye. A bit unnerving. It reminded me of the game warden’s opinion of the velociraptors in the movie Jurassic Park:

“That one... when she looks at you, you can see she's working things out...............They remember.......”

Glenn Quinn
Antonio Quinn
Hauppauge, NY

---