All, FYI.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Karen Fung
Date: Fri, May 6, 2016 at 7:32 AM
Subject: NYC Central Park Hermit Warbler (1 May 2016): Updated Photo Gallery
To: ID-FRONTIERS <birdw...@listserv.ksu.edu>

Many thanks to all who responded earlier to my queries, both on- and
off-line. Comments from those who have spent time on the west coast and
have direct experience studying the Hermit/Townsend's species complex were
extremely helpful, since I have never seen a Hermit or Townsend's Warbler
(or Golden-cheeked, for that matter...).  It was especially useful to hear
that adult male Hermit Warblers with complete black bibs can sometimes have
dusky auriculars (one reader sent me a photo of such a specimen from a
museum collection, showing this feature), and that the species in this
complex can copy other warblers' songs fairly often.

I reviewed all my photos again after reading the NYSARC guidelines for
submitting a good report.  The goal was to see if I could come up with
better representations of the bird's plumage, specifically the dusky
auriculars and the underside.  The results are in a separate gallery:

http://www.birdsiviews.com/Birds/Hermit-Warbler/

The photos are more heavily cropped and may not reveal anything new, but
I'm just trying to be as thorough as possible with my documentation of  the
bird's appearance.  There is one additional photo, along with some
descriptive commentary.

The new photos will be added to my eBird checklist (which was posted with
the old photos, but not reviewed yet) and will be submitted to NYSARC along
with a report.

Feel free to share your thoughts if you feel so inclined, either on- or
off-list.

Thanks again,
Karen Fung
NYC