Before the Harlem Piers park was constructed, when there was a live sewer
outlet in the Hudson River at the west end of 125th street (very visible),
Canvasbacks collected there every winter. I don't unfortunately have any
numbers in my old notes, but there could often be several dozen. They
disappeared when the sewer treatment plant came on line.
  Bob Paxton