Like Bob Paxton I was initially puzzled by the square shape of the white
wedge, especially in first image (ML94655071) but accept it looks a little
better in the second image (ML94655101). Is it correc to assume the dark
blob is the heavy barring on the upperside of the tail?

I considered Greater Yellowlegs based on the first image but that ID would
be hard reconcile with seeing a decurved bill (mentioned in Cesar's
original posting) but with the caveat that the bill shape is hard to
discern from the photos accompanying the checklist. That said, I'm not
seeing an obvious foot extension beyond the tail, which does fit with it
being a Whimbrel. Are there any more photos even if not as sharp?

So-called 'White-rumped Whimbrels' are genuine vagrants to eastern North
America with a handful of April and May records. Tagging such birds as
either 'European' or 'Eurasian/Siberian' is tricky because three subspecies
(N. p. phaeopus, N. p. alboaxillaris and N. p. variegatus) need to be
considered. Steppe Whimbrel (alboaxillaris) is no longer numerous and
pretty unlikely, but the other two are serious contenders, with nominate
'European' Whimbrel (phaeopus) more likely perhaps in spring and the very
similar 'Siberian' Whimbrel (variegatus) a sensible possibility in the
fall. If I recall correctly, the tail and upper tail coverts of variegatus
are darker than phaeopus.

Fun stuff!

Angus Wilson
New York City