From: bounce-122638150-3714...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-122638150-3714...@list.cornell.edu> On Behalf Of Joseph DiCostanzo
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2018 11:35 AM
To: Shaibal Mitra <shaibal.mi...@csi.cuny.edu>
Cc: NYSBIRDS (NYSBIRDS-L@cornell.edu) <NYSBIRDS-L@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Dark billed, dark legged Common Terns on Long Island

Shai,

I certainly did not intend to “categorically dismiss” any line of evidence. And
I certainly did not mean to say longipennis is an impossibility (see my last
post to Bob). I think we completely agree that there is a tendency to not think
“quantitatively” - no where enough consideration is given to variability in
common species. So when an individual does not fit the “field guide” picture of
the common species there is often a tendency to immediately go for something
rare instead of giving enough consideration to variation in the more likely
occurring species.

Of course rarities do occur! Birding wouldn’t be nearly as much fun as it is
without them. The operative word, however, is “rare”. As the saying goes in
medial diagnostics, “If you hear hoofbeats in the distance, think horse, not
zebra.” (Unless, of course, you are in Africa. :) )

Joe

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 14, 2018, at 10:49 AM, Shaibal Mitra <shaibal.mi...@csi.cuny.edu>
> wrote:
>
> As I mentioned in my earlier note to the list on this subject (8 Jun 18,
> copied at the very end of the present note), the jury is certainly still out
> on the status of longipennis Common Terns on the east coast. Joe's highly
> informed contributions are a very welcome addition to the process and
> underscore several areas to focus on in resolving the matter. First, it is
> clearly true that to claim an extralimital longipennis, the evidence must be
> very strong and include multiple characters beyond dark bills and dark legs.
> I have a lot to contribute on this front, because I have made a point of
> studying non-breeding terns for more than 20 years, during which time I have
> collected detailed data on large samples of carefully scored first-summers
> and "second-summer types" (a category which, as Joe notes, consists of an odd
> amalgam of a subset of some but not all two year-olds, older adults short of
> full breeding condition, and very old, senescent adults)--not only of Common
> Terns, but also of Arctic, Roseate, Least, Black, and others.
>
> For now I just want to make two very simple points in response to the queries
> Joe raises toward the end of his note.
>
> First, I'd like to address Joe's skepticism about judging wing length
> visually. I once wrote a long, detailed note to the ID Frontiers list
> defending the critical, visual assessment of shape (i.e., the relative sizes
> of morphological structures; that piece concerned warblers, or maybe willets,
> or maybe I did it separately for both?). I might be able to dig it/them up,
> but for now I remember demonstrating that large samples of in-hand
> measurements counter-intuitively often obscure real differences between
> similar species, males and females, etc. The reason is that handbooks
> over-emphasize extreme data, neglecting quantitative measures of variance and
> covariance, and because most observers are unprepared or unwilling to think
> quantitatively. At the same time, sharp-eyed birders can unerringly
> distinguish Blackpoll and Pine Warblers at a glance by shape, even though
> practically all their measurements, viewed individually in huge samples,
> overlap. With regard to terns, I can recognize visually how the length of an
> individual's primary projection compares to the chord of its dorsum with
> enough precision to distinguish Common and Arctic Terns very confidently. So
> I would caution against categorically dismissing this line of evidence.
>
> Second, the true statuses of non-breeding seabirds remain an amazing mystery,
> and the few glimpses we've had so far have been really exciting. Most
> obviously, the local status of Arctic Tern has been completely re-written in
> the past 20 years based precisely on attention to loafing flocks of
> non-breeding terns. Furthermore, scrutiny of these flocks has yielded many
> [...]

This communication and any attachments are intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named as the addressee. It may contain information which
is privileged and/or confidential under applicable law. If you are not the
intended recipient or such recipient's employee or agent, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is
strictly prohibited and to notify the sender immediately.