Shai does an excellent job summarizing the complications of the terms. And he
makes a very important point about using the term “type” since there is so much
individual variation you cannot always reliably join plumage to chronological
age. I would disagree with one point however. On Great Gull Island we trap
numbers of Common Terns that are 20 years old or older. (I frequently tell
students the bird they are handling might be older than they are.) Some seasons
we may handle a hundred birds in this age bracket. It is highly unusual for
them to be visually different from from other adults, so I would disagree with
Shai’s statement that many Common Terns in this age bracket look like TY birds.
I should note that we are trapping birds on nests with hatched chicks so they
are generally in healthy breeding condition. It is certainly possible that
birds in subprime condition may not be in full adult plumage.

Joe DiCostanzo

Sent from my iPad