As we've been discussing with regard to Arctic and other species of scarce
terns, at least some of the uptick in reports this season is due to increased
and more highly focused effort at appropriate sites and dates. But even
allowing for this, I think the numbers of Roseates are slightly better this
year than during the past five or so years. My own counts of Roseates at
various sites have been better than those of the last few years: 5 at Nickerson
Beach 16 Jun; 9 at Fire Island Inlet 27 Jun; 6 at Moriches Inlet 10 & 24 Jun.
But, as Bob points out, these numbers are paltry compared to what used to be,
not very long ago.

The demise of the great Cedar Beach colony was a bit longer ago than Bob
remembers. I know this with painful precision because it exactly preceded my
arrival on Long Island: 1995-1996:

http://www.nybirds.org/KBsearch/y1996v46n4/y1996v46n4rgn10.pdf#

Although foxes and other direct disturbance were involved, it is also important
to note that the local beach morphology was changing at the same time and that
this might have played a role:

http://www.nybirds.org/KBsearch/y1993v43n3/y1993v43n3p170-184feustel.pdf#

The moderately large colony at Little Warner Island, near Shinnecock Inlet,
appears to have vanished around 2004. My best counts of Roseates at Shinnecock,
such as 75 in August 1999 and 50 in August 2004,
are distant memories. More recently there have been perhaps two pairs among the
Common Terns nesting on the bay island east of Triton Lane, in Shinnecock Bay.

A big colony was present on Cartwright Shoals, off Gardiner's Island, in the
early 2000s, with as many as 322 pairs in 2004, but I don't hear much about it
anymore and doubt that it hosts many Roseates currently. Moderate sized
colonies used to be present near there, along the Gardiner's Bay side of East
Hampton (Cedar Point, Sammy's Beach), but I haven't seen recent counts that
compare with my last significant ones from these sites, e.g., 10 and 60
respectively, on 28 Jun 2009.

I am nearly certain that small numbers of Roseates breed along the south shore
among Common Terns but are largely un-monitored. In the absence of consistent
breeding at known sites by conspicuous numbers of pairs, nobody in particular
seems to have a mandate to search for them and record them--let alone protect
these small colonies from disturbance.

The reason I believe they continue to breed in places such as Great South Bay
and Moriches Bay (and maybe South Oyster Bay) is that I continue to see numbers
(albeit slowly dwindling) of unbanded birds along the oceanfront and at the
inlets, including unbanded juveniles:

https://flic.kr/p/KtRbjQ
https://flic.kr/p/KniuPw
https://flic.kr/p/Knisdu
https://flic.kr/p/Knisum

The situations this year at Breezy Point and Nickerson Beach are interesting.
We know via bands that at least three of the birds at Nickerson are actual
second-summer birds (two year-olds), suggesting they, and perhaps all of the
birds there, are non-breeding loafers. I hadn't heard about the hybrid pairing
there last year, but I observed such a pairing at Fire Island Inlet in 2009:

https://flic.kr/p/UHkC1U

Ironically, our best hope is to find more unbanded Roseates, as these might
reflect un-monitored breeders that could, with hard work and some coordination
with the various conservation agencies, be confirmed and protected.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore