From: bounce-123728941-3714...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-123728941-3714...@list.cornell.edu> On Behalf Of Angus Wilson
Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2019 11:51 AM
To: nysbirds-l <nysbirds-l@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Jamaica Bay East Pond Water Level 2019 & Nickerson
sandpiper ID

Andrew,

Thanks once again for your updates on this important shorebird site and tactful
dialogue with the refuge staff. My impression is that the East Pond has
declined significantly over the years as a shorebird feeding and roosting site.
There could be many many reasons (assuming the data fits this personal
impression) but I wonder if the pond doesn't need a more extensive spring clean
so to speak? Maintaining this type of habitat (often called scapes) is a fairly
advanced science involving periodic draining, freshwater flushing and
remodeling. Shorebird focused refuges often construct multiple impoundments to
allow some to be kept flooded whilst others are drained and then refilled.
Similarly, isolated roost islands or shingle bars need to be maintained so that
birds can sit out the high tide undisturbed. The Raunt, for example, has
crumbled away and is now barely separated from the eastern margin. It used to
be the most important site on the pond. Drawing down the water level on
schedule is one thing but maybe more needed? I appreciate the Park Service and
the refuge are under tight fiscal constraints but maybe birders can help
through fundraising, donations of materials or if necessary, with manual labor.
 Has anyone sampled invertebrates in the surface mud to monitor productivity?

I wanted to share with anyone interested, an an update on the water level on
the East Pond at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, Queens Co.
Unfortunately, the news is not good. The water is quite high. On the South End
which is the where the first bit of mudflats would begin to show, the water is
right up to the phragmites on the edge of the trail before you turn right to
access the last bit heading towards the pond.
Based on my record keeping of water level and dates, we are once again behind
on schedule. I do not see any kind of flats opening up until August.
No doubt, the weather has not helped with the excessive rainfall but I have a
hard time reconciling why we seem to have a repeat of the same situation - it
seems year after year.

Changing subject slightly, I'm puzzled about the BAIRD's SANDPIPER reported
from Nickerson Beach (Nassau Co.) yesterday. The few photos I've seen are
marginal (seemingly distant and partly obscured by grasses) but are suggestive
of an adult alternate plumaged Baird's/White-rumped Sandpiper. However, the
descriptions in several eBird checklists are either inconclusive or strongly
suggestive of White-rumped Sandpiper. I don't think leg color is useful (both
should be blackish) and at least two reports mention a white-rump, which of
course is damning for Baird's! Not sure anyone commented on the color of the
lower mandible at the base. Did the dryish habitat play a part in the ID?

Was wondering if there are better photos or if observers have changed their
minds after reviewing online photos and other reference materials?

--
Angus Wilson
New York City
Subscribe, Configuration and
Leave<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
Archives:
The Mail
Archive<http://www.mail-archive.com/nysbirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>
Surfbirds<http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L>
ABA<http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01>
This communication and any attachments are intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named as the addressee. It may contain information which
is privileged and/or confidential under applicable law. If you are not the
intended recipient or such recipient's employee or agent, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is
strictly prohibited and to notify the sender immediately.