Seymour (Sy) Schiff passed away on Thursday, January 14, at the age of 93. I
learned this from his dear friend Joe Giunta, who had been in touch with Sy
regularly and made inquiries when he couldn’t be reached. I understand that a
service has already been held, but I will discuss with Joe how we birders might
join in honoring him.

>From his years writing the Kingbird seasonal reports for New York City and
>Long Island, to his gentlemanly and erudite omnipresence around Jones Beach,
>to his more wide-ranging birding adventures later in life in Joe’s company, Sy
>touched New York’s birding community deeply. He will be missed deeply by many,
>many people.

I know that Sy saw at least 402 species of birds in New York State, and just
this morning I was thinking of encouraging and helping him to try for the
Spotted Towhee, very near his home in Baldwin. That will never happen, but I
will spend some time tonight with my memories of many birds I saw with Sy.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore