From: geneseebird...@geneseo.edu [mailto:geneseebird...@geneseo.edu] On Behalf
Of Willie D'Anna
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2022 9:58 AM
To: 'geneseebirds'; 'Geneseebirds'; 'NYSBirds'
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Limpkin - Niagara County

The Limpkin in Lewiston, along the Niagara River, was seen throughout the day
yesterday and was there again this morning. It is sticking to a very small area
– a linear strip about 50 yards long. If you don’t see it, just carefully check
the weeds at the base of the slope for any movement. It can really hide in
there!

If you have not seen the bird by now, unfortunately, your opportunity may soon
be over. I know this will be disappointing/upsetting to those who have had no
chance to chase it during the week and were waiting for the weekend. Although
there may be disagreement on whether or not humans should intervene, there is
strong consensus among people that I have talked with that the health of this
bird should be the primary consideration. A rehabilitator has been alerted who
is willing to transport the bird to Florida. Although the bird seems fine now,
we know how quickly things can change. We are fairly certain from past
experience (the Anhinga near Rochester), that this bird will not simply leave
when things get really bad for it. Therefore, its capture may come sooner
rather than later. Capturing a healthy bird often results in a better outcome
than capturing one that is already unwell. Please don’t ask me exactly when
this will occur because I don’t know. It could be today. We will continue to
monitor the Limpkin and try to assess its condition, as well as watch what the
weather is or will be doing.

The snowstorm in Buffalo is horrendous right now and there is a driving ban in
parts of Buffalo and the suburbs. Nobody should be driving into or close to the
city to see this bird. If you are coming from the east, go through Rochester
and come along Lake Ontario, then back south to Lewiston.

The coordinates are 43.173805, -79.049374 Mapped pin:
https://goo.gl/maps/CyuEbPmWpmwBt1DL8  This is below the cliff, down at river
level. You must park above at street level and take the stairs down. For those
who have difficulty walking, you can be driven down and let off at water level.
Look for the blue-gray building that says “harbor master” over one of the
doors. Next to it is a blue-gray shed. The weeds that it was hanging out in all
afternoon on Tuesday are between those two buildings, which are only 15 feet
apart. The bird sometimes moves behind one of the buildings but you can usually
find it by moving around. It is close, only 30 feet or so away, though usually
obscured or made invisible by weeds, and does not seem particularly concerned
about people. However, please do not surround it, as it does sometimes like to
come out into the open. I suggest that people stay off the grass in order to
give it some space. You will still get great views.

PLEASE NOTE: If anyone notices the bird showing concerning behavior, such as
lethargy, noticeable limping, or dragging a wing, could you please contact me
ASAP.

Thanks and good birding!

Willie

Willie D'Anna