The Queens County Bird Club will hold its next meeting via Zoom on Wednesday,
Sept 22, 2021 at 7:30 pm.

The presentation will be "They’re baaaack: Whales are returning to NY waters:
their numbers, location, and reasons why” by Paul L. Sieswerda of Gotham Whales.

Registration link is on the home page of www.qcbirdclub.org
<http://www.qcbirdclub.org/>  Or use this link
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0rd-CppzwqE93gCu0h1ttIgDPN0BZE20b8

After retiring in 2009 from a long career as Curator at both the New England
and NY Aquariums, Paul L. Sieswerda was drawn to studying the whales that are
returning to the waters around NY City.  “The whales came to me. “ he says.
Sieswerda has developed the 501c3 organization, Gotham Whale, to study, educate
about, and advocate for the marine mammals around NYC.  Gotham Whale maintains
a database of marine mammal sightings from their observations aboard the
American Princess, a whale watch boat out of Rockaway, Queens and other Citizen
Science sources.  Gotham Whale keeps The NYC Humpback Whale Catalog which
identifies individual whales from photographs of their flukes.  Gotham Whale
tracks the species, location, and behavior to gain insight into the whales as
they come closer and closer to the Big City.

Hope to “see" you then.

Nancy Tognan
nancy.tog...@gmail.com <mailto:nancy.tog...@gmail.com>
Vice President, Queens County Bird Club

See http://www.qcbirdclub.org <http://www.qcbirdclub.org/> for more information
on trips, speakers, and other events.
See our "Birding Sites" page for directions to and info about many local
birding hotspots.