I generally agree more with Chuck, David and Brain E than I don't.
But I do think that someone will find a pragmatic reason for > 1
assertion eventually and I think the proposal earlier in this thread
to allow for multiple occurrences of the assertion parameter in the
core spec will make that easier for a number of instantiations of the
assertion flow (grant type) at a later time.  It adds some complexity
but I don't think a lot.  And specifications or pairwise agreements
building on the assertion flow could easily constrain down to a single
assertion, if it suits the profile.

That's the only change proposal to the core spec that's come out of
discussion around my I-D
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-campbell-oauth-saml-00.txt (that I can
think of).  I'm still not sure if it makes sense to allow for multiple
assertions in the next draft of that, but allowing for multiple
assertion params in core sure seems like a cleaner way to do it.

Yaron's proposal for a Section 2.2 on Client Assertions is a change to
core as well (latest in that thread:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oauth/current/msg04154.html).
However, even though it uses the term assertion similarly, it's a
distinct issue from the SAML work.  The latter is a SAML based usage
of the assertion grant type while the former I think of it more as a
means of allowing for stronger forms of client authentication than
just a client password/secret.

I guess both could be used in a two-legged style interaction (or used
together) and maybe that's where it starts to get confusing...