Thanks for your review and feedback, Stephen. Replies are inline below...

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 5:20 AM, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie>
wrote:

> Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-oauth-saml2-bearer-21: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)
>

> Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-saml2-bearer/

> COMMENT:
>

> - intro para2: might be nice (no more) to add some refs to
> other protocols that use SAML.

OK

> - 2.2: What are "padding bits" in 4648? I don't recall such.
> (But may be misremembering.)

 FWIW, that exact wording was suggested to me by Peter Saint-Andre (cc'd)
so, trusting in him, I just took the text without question.

But I believe it means and is basically just restating what is said near
the middle/end of ยง4 in 4648, "When fewer than 24 input  bits are available
in an input group, bits with value zero are added (on the right) to form an
integral number of 6-bit groups." -

Are you saying Peter is wrong? ;)

- section 3, list item 2: This doesn't quite say that the
> token endpoint URL MUST (in the absence of another profile) be
> in an Audience element. Why not? The text seems to me to allow
> for the AS to map the token endpoint URL to any value in an
> Audience element that the AS finds ok. I suspect that might be
> unwise, but it at least needs to be clear. Is that the text
> being ambiguous or me being paranoid/wrong?

You are not wrong. But it's intentionally that way to allow for how this
will actually be used and deployed (and currently is). It accommodates how
SAML defines audience (SAML core 2.5.1.4 referenced in item 2 there) as
well as providing the token endpoint URL as a means of identifying the AS
as an audience for deployments that wouldn't otherwise have a SAML 2.0
entity id to use.

This profile is just a small piece of a bigger picture and, as such, needs
to fit into the larger picture. Oftentimes it will be deployed as a
complement to existing SAML deployments where trust has already been
established and keys and identifiers have already been exchanged, in which
case the existing SAML 2.0 entity ID of the AS who is a SAML SP in that
context should be used as the audience. But I couldn't presume that would
always be the case so needed to provide some guidance for what to use as
the audience in the absence of a larger SAML deployment. OAuth doesn't have
any kind of discovery or metadata, only endpoints to identify an AS, and
this draft isn't going to address that. So the token endpoint is really the
only option.

I understand the desire to have something neat and tidy here but it's just
not feasible to do so and reconcile with the way this kind of software is
actually deployed and used.

Some stuff needs to be exchanged out-of-band for this to work.
Entity/issuer/audience identifiers are part of that. This need is discussed
in the Interoperability Considerations at
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-saml2-bearer-21#section-5

> Same point seems
> to apply elsewhere too:
>    = in item 3.A where it says "typically identifies" but
>    does not say how.

Could be an email, a username, a guid, a distinguished name, a certificate,
a persistent pseudonymous id, a transient pseudonymous id, etc.

Like all cross domain identity systems, part of the deployment is
determining how identities will be conveyed. Nailing that down any more is
way beyond the scope of this draft. It's also mentioned in the
Interoperability Considerations.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-saml2-bearer-21#section-5

>    = in item 5 "or an acceptable alias"

To give the AS some flexibility in what it accepts as identifying itself.

> - section 3, item 7: How might an AS know that "the Assertion
> was issued with the intention that the client act autonomously
> on behalf of the subject"?

Item 7 is intended to provide a way to single that to the AS - and it's
really about if the user directly authenticated or not. The issuer of the
assertion will know (usually) if the user authenticated directly or if the
assertion is being issued about the subject based on some other trust
relationship with the client.

The same section was discussed in Pete Resnick's review, near the end of
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oauth/current/msg13599.html with the
suggestion of saying "directly authenticated" in the first sentence to be
more clear about it. But I'm open to additional clarification, if you have
a suggestion.