Thanks for your review and feedback on this one too, Stephen. Replies are
inline below...

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 5:22 AM, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie>
wrote:

> Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-oauth-assertions-17: Discuss

> introductory paragraph, however.)
>

> Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-assertions/

> DISCUSS:
>

> Putting one discuss here rather than one on each of the other
> docs. We can fix that as appropriate after we chat.  Where are
> the MTI signature and mac algs for these specified? If those
> can be tracked back via the SAML and jose docs that's fine,
> but I'm not sure if they are.

I believe they can be.

JOSE Implementation Requirements for JWS are in the table in JWA §3.1
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-jose-json-web-algorithms-34#section-3.1

And there's §5 SAML and XML Signature Syntax and Processing
http://docs.oasis-open.org/security/saml/v2.0/saml-core-2.0-os.pdf

> COMMENT:
>

> - general: What prevents/detects conflicts between the oauth
> scope parameter and the saml or jwt equivalent?  Are there
> other bits of replicated data that could be the basis for a
> vulnerability?
>
> (The comment below applies for both saml and jwt so
> putting it here.)

Scope is not represented inside the assertion (JWT or SAML) so there's no
potential for conflict.

> - The no replay protection issue was debated in the
> WG wasn't it? (I think I recall it, not sure.) Seems like a
> bad plan to me to not require at least implementation of
> replay protection in the AS so that it can be turned on. Can
> you point me at where that was discussed on the list?

I described my recollection and justification of the optionality of one
particular type of replay protection in a message yesterday:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oauth/current/msg13567.html

It's worth mentioning that there are different ideas of what replay is and
what to protect against. The one particular type mentioned above is pretty
narrow - checking to see if the same token is used again at the same
relying party.

There are other kinds of more sinister replay which are prevented by
properly audience restricting the assertions. The audience restriction
let's the issuer say specifically what relying party is allowed to consume
the assertion, which ensures that the client can't use it somewhere where
it wasn't intended and that the relying party that receives the assertion
can't turn around and use it to access some other service.