From: OAuth [mailto:oauth-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Brock Allen
Sent: 17 May 2018 14:57
To: oauth@ietf.org
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] is updated guidance needed for JS/SPA apps?

Much like updated guidance was provided with the "OAuth2 for native apps" RFC,
should there be one for "browser-based client-side JS apps"? I ask because
google is actively discouraging the use of implicit flow:

https://github.com/openid/AppAuth-JS/issues/59#issuecomment-389639290

From what I can tell, the complaints with implicit are:
* access token in URL
* access token in browser history
* iframe complexity when using prompt=none to "refresh" access tokens

But this requires:
* AS/OP to support PKCE
* AS/OP to support CORS
* user-agent must support CORS
* AS/OP to maintain short-lived refresh tokens
* AS/OP must aggressively revoke refresh tokens at user signout (which is not
something OAuth2 "knows" about)
* if the above point can't work, then client must proactively use revocation
endpoint if/when user triggers logout

Any use in discussing this?

-Brock

medium. Thank you.