No, my testing was not via XHR/fetch. Just direct request from the browser.
I was making the assumption (maybe foolishly) that it wouldn't impact
behavior because it's all at the network layer.

I saw that Firefox setting but left the default (at least for my install),
which was not to autopick.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:30 PM David Waite <da...@alkaline-solutions.com>
wrote:

> Was your testing via XHR/fetch?
>
> FWIW,
>
> Firefox behavior is determined by a global pick automatically / prompt
> every time flag. Details at https://wiki.mozilla.org/PSM:CertPrompt
>
> Safari on macOS relies on the keychain, where a record is created called
> an Identity Preference. This is a URL (https or email) to preferred
> certificate mapping. Previously, it would create this record the first time
> a user selected a certificate, then never prompt again.
>
> Chrome seems to delegate to the underlying OS for certificate management,
> so on the Mac it has this behavior as well. This means however that other
> platforms may have different behaviors.
>
> Safari on iOS used to automatically select a single certificate match, if
> the query was for a single client CA. I didn’t try with other small numbers
> (2, 3, etc) but when exposing the list of all available CAs as valid client
> CAs, it would prompt. This may not be the heuristic anymore, as knowing the
> name of a client CA (such one issued as part of a cloud EMM deployment)
> would allow certificates to be used for tracking.
>
> IE (pre-edge) would allow the behavior to use an automatic cert or prompt
> to be configured per-zone, which would allow policy to send a device/user
> identification certificate to a particular set of sites by default. I have
> no experience with configuring Edge, unfortunately.
>
> -DW

computer. Thank you._