Hi Daniel,

I think this problem is not only restricted to the redirect_uri.
Regarding countermeasure (1), also the A-AS can return the same
client_id as the client uses on the H-AS.

TL;DR: In countermeasure (1), only the issuer prevents MixUp, the
client_id parameter can be faked as well during the registration of the
client (especially if Dynamic Client Registration is used).

Regards
Christian

On 26.11.19 15:20, Daniel Fett wrote:
> Hi Karsten,
>
> Very interesting observation!
>
> My gut feeling is that this is the real problem here:
>
> Am 26.11.19 um 14:24 schrieb Karsten Meyer zu Selhausen:
>> Depending on its implementation the client might simply extract all data
>> contained in the Client Information Response and use it for
>> authorizations with the specific AS.
>> We were able to confirm that one popular open-source library behaves in
>> this exact way. It stores the redirect URI contained in the Client
>> Information Response and uses it for Authorization Requests with the
>> A-AS although it differs from the redirect URI in the Client
>> Registration Request.
> The client uses untrusted, unverified data to make its decision on what
> redirect URI to use.
>
> Nonetheless, we should definitely mention this in the BCP!
>
>> In our opinion this makes the countermeasure "AS-specific redirect URIs"
>> obsolete and we believe the other countermeasure described in the BCP
>> (adding an AS identifier and the client_id of the intended recipient to
>> AS's responses) should be used to prevent Mix-Up attacks. If the
>> involved entities use the OIDC hybrid flow this countermeasure is
>> automatically applied.
> These are more intrusive changes than the per-AS redirect URI and may
> require new parameters.
>
> Daniel

Dr.-Ing. Christian Mainka
Horst Görtz Institute for IT-Security