At 4:44 PM -0400 10/9/2001, Rod Plunkett wrote:
>I hate posting this when the list is so busy, but I need
>some advice.
>As luck would have it, I hit some glass last week...you know
>the sound - pss-pss-pss-pss - on each revolution (some punk
>dunderhead threw a beer bottle on Strandherd Rd).  I changed
>tubes and road home. I went out again yesterday and had
>another flat just west of Stittsville - I found a cut in the
>tire (which I did not notice when I changed the tube). It is
>not a huge hole, but evidently big enough for my tube to
>squeeze through and cause a second flat. It is a Specialized
>tire and there is still substantial tread left on it. I had
>one of those clear vinyl pads with adhesive on it that I
>used to get me home, but it is marked "for temporary use
>only". Is there a way to repair the tire, or should I just
>cut my losses and replace it?
>
>-Rod P
>
>PS - I wish car repairs were as cheap as bike repairs.

Hi Rod,

I don't know what the others have to offer by way of a solution, but
I've always found a good-ole-basic roll of duct tape works for me, in
such circumstances.  It's for this reason that I always carry a very
small roll of the stuff with me, along with the standard patch kit.
Once discovering 'the offending hole', I find sticking a piece of
duct tape on the inside of the tire, where the hole is, is usually
enough to get me home.  Once there, assuming the tire is reparable,
leave the duct tape in place, and try filling the damaged portion of
the tire with some glue, such as 'Shoe Gue'.  This way, you can try
and prevent any further debris from getting into the damaged portion
of the tire.  One trick with duct tape is to get the good stuff, with
the threaded mesh pattern of cotton fabric imbedded in it.  With this
type, you'll have a better chance of retaining the tires' structural
integrity once it's re-inflated.

Hope this helps.

Bill Taylor

------
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Club Office:      [EMAIL PROTECTED],  (613) 230-1064
Web/mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb
Newsletter:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb/Newsletter