While most people have probably started to think about skiing instead of
cycling by now, there is still one very important activity left for OBC
members. The Annual General Meeting will be held on Wed. Oct 24.

Historically, interest in the AGM from most OBC members is very low.
This is wrong because to be blunt about, the AGM is where the Board of
Directors is selected for the next year - this is the group of people
that decided how to spend YOUR membership fees and organize YOUR events.

This year, although I am a Director of the club, I will not be able to
attend due to work committments. I feel quite bad about this because I
am hearing rumours that some of the people who are planning to attend
the AGM are people who have publicly and loudly pronounced their
disapproval of the OBC, the current board of directors and the
President, Avery Burdett in particular. Some of these people are from
other cycling groups. I have heard it said that these people want to
take over the OBC for the other groups purposes. This is very troubling
as it may mean a change in the types of programs that the OBC offers
(i.e. no more time trials maybe?). I do know that a lot of these people
are not necessarily interested in the same type of cycling that the OBC
and its members tend to focus their energies on - group tours for all
abilities (beginners to racers), time trials, overnight tours etc.

For the first time in my experience in the club, there is an election
race for the position of President. For the past two years I think Avery
has done an excellent job of keeping the club finances in check, keeping
interest in many different activities high, representing the interests
of the OBC cyclists and helping the other directors in managing the wide
variety of events the OBC offers you. As we all know, he is extremely
passionate about all types of cycling. He has been seen on his bike at
almost every OBC activity. Each year he has been involved has been
better than the last.

He is more than capable of carrying on in these duties.

I urge all OBC members to think about how they want their club to
continue. It is crucial this year as there is a risk that all of the
hard work that Avery and the current Board have put in may be lost.
Please do your part and come out and vote to keep things progressing for
the better.

Kevin Nelson

------
To unsubscribe, send a blank message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Club Office:      [EMAIL PROTECTED],  (613) 230-1064
Web/mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb
Newsletter:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.cyberus.ca/~obcweb/Newsletter