Since making maps puts bread on my table I feel adequately qualified to
comment on this subject.

Producing maps can be expensive. Today, all maps are created using GIS
(Geographic Information Systems) - computer software that combines
graphics (lines representing roads, shapes representing lakes etc.) with
attribute information about those graphics (road names, lake names etc.)

Desktop versions of these systems start at $2000. Then you need to buy
data, although a lot can be had for free if you know how to find it.
Then you need to manipulate the graphics based on the attributes. Then
you need to decide how to publish the data. And when teh data changes -
a new road gets built, or a dirt road gets paved, somebody has to update
the database. The prohibiting factor in these types of initiatives is
time - time is expensive.

Publishing takes two forms (at least as has been requested on this
list), internet or hardcopy (paper).

Internet mapping is a world in itself. There are two general options:
provide map images (in .jpg, .bmp etc) of a map that a GIS technician
has prepared. End users on the internet access this image the same as
opening a picture of say, Lance Armstrong, but a map image is generally
quite large - it has to be in order to provide the necessary information
in a legible manner. This causes issues with file storage, download
time, and end users having the right tool to view the map etc. These are
all issues that can be overcome, but not easily or cheaply.

The other option is more interactive for the end user, but very
expensive. It involves a GIS web server (hardware), another type of GIS
web software, and time spent developing a user interface to simplify the
access for end-users i.e. programming a button to display the OBC route
from Ottawa to Manotick. This is the future of the mapping industry, but
right now, a minimum cost of $50,000 to implement would be my best
guess. (Most ISP's don't have the required type of server). An example
of this type of website is Mapquest.

Hardcopy maps again require lots of time. The same data would be used to
do the internet mapping, or the hardcopy maps, but it is a question of
time. How to colour the roads, how to label the roadnames, what size
paper to put it on etc. I don't think the OBC could sell enough to make
the investment worthwhile.

So although the idea is great, and it would be fun for someone like me
to do, I don't think that we are going to see OBC route maps on the
internet anytime soon, or an official OBC hardcopy map for sale in the
stores. Time to produce and cost of producing are just too prohibitive
at this time.

Many people have mentionned great alternatives here. try them. Or, get
out on your bike, turn down a road and see where you end up.

kevin
Kevin Nelson