At 12:45 AM -0400 21/9/2002, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I carry a viola (case is about 33" x 8" x 6")  on bicycle. I have done
>this in two different ways:
>
>1. Take a backpack frame and remove the backpack (the straps are still
>attached to the frame). Then bungie-cord the instrument to the frame,
>put your arms through the straps and get on your bike. (This may be
>awkward impossible if your son is too small relative to his instrument).
>
>2. Get large panniers which don't taper at the bottom. The ones which
>are ideal for my viola are called "Pike Sport". I got mine many years
>ago at Rebec and Kroes (I'm fearing that the winter salt will have them
>finished off in a few more years). What makes them really great is that
>there is a zipper all the way down the side of the pannier (so it's easy
>to get the case in, and a small strap with those plastic fast-click
>buckles at the top of the zipper to really secure the instrument. About
>60-70% of my viola is still out of the pack, but it's secure in there.
>If there was still concern about losing it, one could put a bungie cord
>shrough the handle of the case and around the seat post.
>
>If neither of these solutions work, somebody told me once of a man - I
>think in Westboro - who makes custom packs. I could probably track him
>down for you if you want to go this route. The friend who told me about
>him said that his price for work was quite reasonable.

Celia, that's pretty interesting, what you've managed to carry on
your bike.  How are you with kitchen sinks? ... ;-)

Actually, it just occurred to me, the custom pack builder could be
the long-time standing, Westboro Shoe Rebuilder, here on Richmond
Road.  The shop's under different management now, but I understand
the same service and innovation is still accessible.

Another option it to check with Trail Head, and see if they can put
you in touch with whoever repairs their tents used on their Black
Feather trips.  I seem to remember Peter Brebner being the person
they used for tent repairs.  Like the Westboro Shoe Rebuilder, I
understood Peter Brebner to have the tools and skill to work with
heavy fabrics such as those used in tents and packs.  However, that
was some 10 + years ago.

Alternatively, check with outdoor stores and see what they've to offer.

All the best with it.

Bill