Hi John, Kerry

this model of ‘anyone can sign up’ also fits the broader OSMF and OSGeo
models. In OSMF you just pay, in OSGeo you go to a website and create
yourself an account.

Thanks everyone for their hard work on this document, I think it is a
wonderful result from a series of well considered compromises and
thoughtful, experience-based input.

Regards

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 at 10:21, John Bryant <johnwbry...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From Kerry:
>
>> *COMMENT: If anyone can nominate new members - can you self-nominate?  In
>> which case isn't this an application for membership? Is the intention that
>> the nominator is already a member, because this is not specified.*
>>
>> *It does seem odd that anybody in the whole world can nominate another
>> person for membership.*
>>

> Thanks Kerry. This was intentionally introduced on 27 Sep when we
> attempted to resolve some disagreement by consolidating two membership
> tiers into a single tier. Since one key idea is to keep a low barrier to
> entry, while still maintaining some control over the membership process,
> this was changed from "*any member may nominate...*" to "*anybody can
> nominate...*" so that we're avoiding an "inner circle" situation.
>
> I don't think it's especially odd that anybody in the whole world can
> nominate (including self-nomination). If someone meets our eligibility
> criteria, and wishes to become a member, then we should welcome them as
> members regardless of who they know.

Dr. Adam Steer
http://spatialised.net
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer