From: Oceania <oceania-boun...@lists.osgeo.org> On Behalf Of adam steer
Sent: Friday, 11 October 2019 10:34 AM
To: John Bryant <johnwbry...@gmail.com>
Cc: Oceania@lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [OSGeo Oceania] membership - elections - AGM

Hi John, Kerry

this model of ‘anyone can sign up’ also fits the broader OSMF and OSGeo models.
In OSMF you just pay, in OSGeo you go to a website and create yourself an
account.

Thanks everyone for their hard work on this document, I think it is a wonderful
result from a series of well considered compromises and thoughtful,
experience-based input.

Regards

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 at 10:21, John Bryant <johnwbry...@gmail.com
<mailto:johnwbry...@gmail.com> > wrote:

>From Kerry:

COMMENT: If anyone can nominate new members - can you self-nominate?  In which
case isn't this an application for membership? Is the intention that the
nominator is already a member, because this is not specified.

It does seem odd that anybody in the whole world can nominate another person
for membership.

Thanks Kerry. This was intentionally introduced on 27 Sep when we attempted to
resolve some disagreement by consolidating two membership tiers into a single
tier. Since one key idea is to keep a low barrier to entry, while still
maintaining some control over the membership process, this was changed from
"any member may nominate..." to "anybody can nominate..." so that we're
avoiding an "inner circle" situation.

I don't think it's especially odd that anybody in the whole world can nominate
(including self-nomination). If someone meets our eligibility criteria, and
wishes to become a member, then we should welcome them as members regardless of
who they know.

Dr. Adam Steer

http://spatialised.net

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer