Hi again (sorry for the 2 messages),
I am cautious but HOT seems to have evolved in regards to Tyler Radfords
talk (in Graeme reference), so lets not be too negative, I am looking
forward to know more about this hub in the future,
Have a great day,
Violaine
Le 27/07/2021 à 11:18, Violaine_Do a écrit :
Hi all,
And thanks Graeme for sharing this. I would also be cautious about
this hub. The intention is obviously good, building a space where
anyone interesting in OSM would join the hub. But my concern is what
is the role of HOT into this.
HOT has been criticized a lot when making money on a community when it
started to be an organization. It was not clear if projects were made
by HOT as a community (originally HOT was a part of OSM community) or
by HOT as the NGO (with paid staff, paid projects, projects responding
to UN/global needs ..). Now they reshaped their website and it's much
more clear. Hope they are not repeating it here. Having an OSM / Open
Mapping hub is great, but I would be careful about the governance. Who
takes the decision? What is the space for openmapping communities at
decision levels?
Hope this initiative is built in an inclusive way on all levels,
Best,
Violaine
Le 25/07/2021 à 15:43, John Bryant a écrit :
Hi Graeme, I understand this new Asia Pacific hub is inclusive of
Oceania. OSM Fiji is currently undertaking a community building
project with HOT's support and the AP hub is one of the contact points.
Personally, I'm super supportive, I think a thriving open geospatial
community will be made up of many communities with overlaps, and many
players contributing in their own ways.
I often think about the Philippines open mapping community and how
multiple loosely-connected orgs contribute to a real buzz, in a way
that a single top-down/catch-all org may not be able to.
It will be interesting to see how the HOT project progresses in this
region over the next few years...
On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 at 09:18, Graeme Fitzpatrick
<[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
You may already be across this, so apologies if this is the case.
I was just reading the weekly Digest & noticed this article:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Nama/diary/397062
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Nama/diary/397062>,
with a bit of background:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/RebeccaF/diary/396167
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/RebeccaF/diary/396167> &
https://www.hotosm.org/updates/reflecting-on-hot-and-the-humanitarian-mapping-community-hot-executive-director-tyler-radfords-closing-remarks-from-the-2020-humanitarian-openstreetmap-summit/
<https://www.hotosm.org/updates/reflecting-on-hot-and-the-humanitarian-mapping-community-hot-executive-director-tyler-radfords-closing-remarks-from-the-2020-humanitarian-openstreetmap-summit/>
Wondering how "Open Mapping Hub- Asia Pacific" may be going to
match up with OSGeo Oceania & OSM Oceania?
It would appear that they may be going to stop at Philippines /
Indonesia so potentially no overlap, although "Asia Pacific"
possibly does suggest otherwise?
Thanks
Graeme
_______________________________________________
Oceania mailing list
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/oceania
<https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/oceania>
_______________________________________________
Oceania mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/oceania
--
Violaine_Do
_______________________________________________
Oceania mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/oceania
--
Violaine_Do
_______________________________________________
Oceania mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/oceania