On 19/09/18 19:32, Denis Kenzior wrote:
Hi Slava,

Anything in include is external API. We do maintain not just out-of-tree, but binary plugins. Backward (binary!) compatibility a must for us. Please do not break it.

That is why we have 'OFONO_API_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE' as a reminder. We mean it.  D-Bus API is stable, we never made any guarantees about the internal APIs.

I understand that! It makes things easier for you guys.

But we had to avoid certain compile-time dependencies in ofono, and a straightforward (and perhaps the only) way to achieve that was to use binary plugins. For us plugin API is not subject to change (plugins don't necessarily get upgraded together with ofono), meaning more changes between our fork and upstream in case if upstream breaks it, more maintenance work and more room for errors. Obviously, I would like to keep differences to a minimum.

I'm just humbly asking - if there's a way to keep plugin API backward compatible, please do it that way. There is at least one person in the world who would appreciate it.

Cheers,
-Slava