On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Tavis Allison wrote:

> Work for hire contracts are the ordinary solution to a publisher's needs in
> gaming, but it seems to me that a contract based on an author being paid to
> develop OGC, which anyone can then reuse under the OGL, does a better job of
> meeting the desires of both authors and publishers. The publisher gets full
> reusability, and has first crack at publishing the OGC plus the ability to
> get the Word files from the author, request specific edits and additional
> materials, etc. The author gets to have the OGC attributed to them and can
> get paid up front without signing over their rights to the publisher;
> instead, they're just giving up their rights to the OGL as they would have
> to anyway.

Is there a reason why a simple work-for-hire agreement wouldn't meet
all of the author's needs in this instance?

Is the only sticking point the fact that the author wants the
copyright line in the Section 15 notice to read "Toaster Oven
Artificial Intelligence Rules, copyright 2006 Manual Maytag; published
by Small Appliance Press" instead of "Toaster Oven Artificial
Intelligence Rules, copyright 2006 Small Appliance Press; Author
Manuel Maytag" (something which could likely be handled by the
publisher licensing the text from the author, instead of buying the
text)?

Spike Y Jones