On 11/10/13 11:47, Joerg Schilling wrote:
The problem is that this doea not help you with existing binaries and it would
be better if gcc would implement the stable studio interfaces instead it's own
variable interfaces.

Well, a switch is a switch. I've had to think about the issue in OpenCSW, so I think I'm reasonably aware of the issues involved. For something like OI which is still evolving and can provide a full switch in one «pkg update», it's a reasonable switch.

Also, it's not like Studio is perfect in that aspect,
Eg, you can use the defaut Cstd, which is old and crusty, or stlport4, or Apache stdcxx4, which are more standard-compliant - but binary incompatible (MySQL 5.6 defaults to stlport4 for the daemon).

Finally, since Oracle seems to be planning to add the G++ ABI into Studio 12.4 sparc, it appears to be on the verge of becoming the de-facto standard. Reality check: having a vastly multiplatform standard is *good*, even if it was Not Invented Here. And the more people will invest in it, the less the GCC team will be inclined to change it (remember, it also annoys Red Hat, and everybody else who has to support a distro for more than a decade).

Laurent