On 05/16/2016 02:43 AM, Nikola M wrote:

Posting any "guides" and "roles" inside Openindiana without consultation
of others and wider audience is simply arrogant and destructive to
Openindiana and that represents TROLLING of Openindiana.

Anyone wanting to make OI a prison for "roles" and "policies" in
privately handled conspiration-like consultations behind closed doors is
doing things against OI's and OI's users personal freedoms.

Nikolam,

My identification and specification of contributor roles is purely for the sake of organization. It is not meant to limit anyone's personal freedoms.

Identifying roles helps contributors better understand the different ways in which someone can contribute. For example, most people may wish to limit their activities to the role of content creator (author). They may not be interested in performing tasks associated with the role of 'website developer' (one who extents the capabilities of the site), nor tasks associate with the role of 'content reviewer' (one who reviews pull requests).

All these roles are necessary for the site to succeed. Think of them simply as organizational definitions to help guide the documentation effort.

You are not going to single-handed destroy positive community process
with the reviews, good intention to everyone, without isolationist
policies, freedom of contribution and a good will in general.
You are not allowed to police Openindiana contribution process.

If documentation resides in a GitHub repository, then someone has to review the pull requests. It does not necessarily have to be me performing this role, although I am the most likely candidate....unless someone else wishes to do it.

While on the subject of content review, the lack of such review is unfortunately one of the shortcomings of the OI Wiki.

Personal freedoms should not equal chaos.

What I mean is....for a user guide to be useful and considered credible, there needs to be a methodical consistency in how content is written, styled, and organized. A project leader (or in this case, a content reviewer) is a required element of the process.

After all, people do not submit source code to the mainline branch without at least some degree of review.

Why should documentation be any different?

In fact, the FreeBSD project has a review process. The OpenSolaris Project had one too. What prohibits the OpenIndiana project from adopting such a process as well?

In summary, lack of organizational process = chaos, and chaos is unlikely to ever result in FreeBSD quality systems documentation.

You ignored ALL availble suggestions and also you refused to accept
Opensolaris Docs PDL license that you need to accept before working on
them.

I don't understand why you keep mentioning this.

When have I refused to accept the PDL license?

I simply questioned whether the PDL was relevant to new documentation and whether new documentation really needed to follow it (or whether some other license might be more appropriate).

In regards to the PDL, to whom does one submit a signed contributor agreement? And did you (or anyone else) ever sign a contributor agreement before you began writing content for the Wiki or anywhere else on OpenIndiana.org? Under what license is this content licensed, or is it even licensed at all?

If the content is in fact PDL licensed, who manages this process and where are these contributor agreements stored?

These are all valid questions.

Michael