On 3/24/22 08:51, Gary Mills wrote:
As some of you may know, Nona and I have been working through a list
of packages that depend on python-27 .  The list was originally
published by Aurlien Larcher, with a view to the removal of python-27
from OI.

With the integration of PR #7942, there are only two remaining
packages:

     developer/gnome/gnome-doc-utils
     image/editor/gimp

In both of these cases, python-2 is deeply embedded in the product,
and the upstream developers have not completed the conversion to
python-3 .  Unless the conversion happens very soon, we have little
choice but to obsolete these two packages, and revive them later when
the conversion is ready.  If anyone has a better alternative, please
let us know.

Since gnome-doc-utils is not used with GNOME 3 or later, upstream has
ended development and archived the project:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/Archive/gnome-doc-utils
so no amount of waiting will ever get it ported to Python 3 by them.

Does mate still need these tools or have they moved on to something else?

        -alan-