Dear all,

I've been working on the Open Correspondence site in terms of porting the original idea and now trying to do the bug fixes.

The site has 918 letters in it which we are exposing in JSON, XML (very, very basic), and RDF with a really basic endpoint and a nearly installed Xapian search engine. So the text, I feel, is catered for and I'm sure that the various things that we're working on will expose faults or show other sorts of information that I haven't thought of yet.

One of the things that I wanted to look at in Open Correspondence is the spatial and temporal information that exists in the letters. I've only had a brief look at the letters but I've sort of been aware of the temporal bits of information like the dates that the letters were written and the possibilities of using Simile to provide varying types of indexes and timelines. Perhaps there's a better way of doing it...

However there is also a fair amount of 'spatial' information not only in the letterheads but also in places mentioned in the text and his travels. I was having a quick scan of the letters to Wilkie Collins[1] and Dickens wrote from the US, France, Kent and London over the 16 year correspondence. I suspect that there is a more interesting query in, for example, following one of this American tours and who he wrote to from where.

I had thought of trying to use Google maps to show the data for Collins but I'm sure that there is a better way of doing it. I certainly cannot remember thinking or visualising data this way when I was doing my degree (though letters were a curiously ignored format through the course).

The RDF endpoint does not expose the geographical data yet as I'm not sure of the best / most useful ontology to use though browsing there is some W3C work and opengeospatial has various vocabularies / ontologies that could be used. I think that there is some great stuff that could be done with it and some interesting software built with it that goes beyond simple geocoding (as outlined above re: Google maps).

It is not an area that I have much experience in yet (but it does seem that both MySQL and Postgresql support GIS to some degree though again better tools may exist) but any advice, pointers and so on gratefully
received.

All best,

Iain

blog: austgate.co.uk
skype: iainemsley
mob: 07723 992492

1 http://www.opencorrespondence.org/letters/view/dickens/Mr%20W%20Wilkie%20Collins


_______________________________________________
okfn-help mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/okfn-help

Reply via email to