Iain, very glad to hear of your progress, have a few points of reference

On 27/10/2010 21:40, print.crimes wrote:
One of the things that I wanted to look at in Open Correspondence is the
spatial and temporal information that exists in the letters.

I run a place-name text mining web service at the EDINA data centre, and would be more than happy to run some of your text and metadata through it and do a little analysis of the results. http://unlock.edina.ac.uk/text.html

The backend is developed by the Language Technology Group at the University of Edinburgh - they do some temporal/event text mining as well (for example, resolving "last Tuesday" to a specific date relative to the rest of the text, and connecting it to clusters of actions).
I forwarded your message to LTG folk, maybe it'll spark something.

I had thought of trying to use Google maps to show the data for Collins
but I'm sure that there is a better way of doing it.

OpenLayers is likely the best option for doing this with open source / data. http://openlayers.org/ - worth also looking at the new-ish http://polymaps.org/ that Stamen released with SimpleGeo for doing more complex visualisations with SVG overlays.

The RDF endpoint does not expose the geographical data yet as I'm not
sure of the best / most useful ontology to use though browsing there is
some W3C work and opengeospatial has various vocabularies / ontologies

There's a GeoSPARQL standard going through the OGC right now. The effort is Oracle-led and so corresponds to their splinter of GeoSPARQL. I'm not sure if OpenLink are involved - i should join the working group - but i've seen/heard good things about the geographic SPARQL query support in Virtuoso - it's being used for http://linkedgeodata.org - the RDF version of OpenStreetmap.

It is not an area that I have much experience in yet (but it does seem
that both MySQL and Postgresql support GIS to some degree though again
better tools may exist)

PostGIS is the gold standard here, really. There's also a new wave of spatial extensions to NoSQL stores which, if you're into the fun of the learning experience, would be worth looking into. GeoCouch for couchdb: http://vmx.cx/cgi-bin/blog/index.cgi/geocouch-the-future-is-now:2010-05-03:en,CouchDB,Python,Erlang,geo MongoDB geospatial indexing: http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Geospatial+Indexing



_______________________________________________
okfn-help mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/okfn-help

Reply via email to