Ben, I can fill it a bit.

First, the LC files were purchased, so those are covered by whatever
contract LC uses for purchased files. (There will probably be a copy
somewhere at the Archive, but I don't know any restrictions on use. We
can clarify that.)

Next, take a look at the talk that Aaron gave at Code4lib 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV-P2uzzc4s

which explains the use of covers from Library Thing and from Amazon.

Also at c4l2008 a consortium of north-western libraries and TALIS
donated their materials to OL. TALIS data is on the Open data Hub [1]
with a ODC PDDL license. These are the records that were imported into OL.

If you look at the full list of Open Library data [2] you will see that
some include license information. Unfortunately, it will take some
digging to know exactly which files were actually imported. I think this
is a documentation project that we should undertake, and I'm willing to
contribute what I know (or think I know).

kc

[1] http://datahub.io/dataset/talis-openlibrary-data
[2]
http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aol_data&sort=-publicdate

On 3/4/13 3:50 PM, Ben Companjen wrote:
> Alexis, thanks for your IA answer.
> I do agree with Tom and Lee though, that the current statement of
> usage responsibility is not really, err, usable.
>
> I wasn't there from the beginning and haven't read all logs and emails
> in the archive, so I don't really know what happened then. It is clear
> that there were several imports of MARC record sets, some of better
> quality than others, and that a bot 'took' information from the
> Library of Congress at regular intervals or semi-continuously. For
> each of these sources, there must have been at least a decision to
> 'take'/start taking the data and I assume something gave the
> impression (or better: explicit confirmation) that that 'taking' was
> allowed.
> Can it be determined for these sources? Talis, sets from several
> state(?) libraries, the Library of Congress, Amazon?
>
> Indeed, in the worst case data may need to be removed to make the
> whole OL dumps/live content shareable under an Open Data licence. The
> OpenStreetMap project changed their licence from CC-BY-SA to ODBl
> because the latter was apparently better for sharing data(bases). The
> change involved lots of discussion and agreements from each and every
> user to agree to the new licence or have his/her contributions removed
> on a certain date. Perhaps objects were reverted to the last edit n in
> a chain of edits (1, 2, ..., n, n+1, n+2, ...) in which all
> contributors agreed to the new licence.
> Contributions from companies (like a map producer who provided
> complete data for some countries) also had to be relicenced which
> required a bit of lobbying, but didn't pose a lot of trouble.
> It is important to note that the OSM community has been pretty strict
> on only allowing original data or donations of data by the
> rightsholder under the right licence terms.
>
> About the cover images: isn't there a fair use in allowing low
> resolution images for book identification purposes? I believe
> Wikipedia or Wikimedia Commons has some rules or guidelines for using
> copyrighted images. "I believe that although this image is
> copyrighted, its display here is fair use, because .. no open
> alternative, small enough to discourage reuse... etc."
>
> Ben

Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net
ph: 1-510-540-7596