Relatively few of the items I publish have ISBN numbers and I imagine that
is true for a great deal of specialized content that might be properly
classified as a "book."

For me the cost to get ISBNs for each of my titles in the 4 formats -
hardback, paperback, CD-ROM, Ebooks in various flavors, would be more than
$30,000 and I can't see where I would get a significant return on my
investment.  I know that over 15 years the 50 or so titles which have
ISBNs have not sold significantly more than those without.

On the other hand a repository is needed for bibliographic citations to
the various editions and some way of distinguishing my "Me and Stonewall
and Gen'l Lee Won the War" from the other out of copyright editions
floating around out there.  In each case I know what new content I have
added in the way of rosters, indexes, Table of Contents, annotations, etc.
that are not apparent to the casual browser of the title and author
detail, but that isn't worth me paying Bowker $30,000.

John Rigdon