(continued from another discussion on ol-tech)

It's not an extensive discussion of every aspect of books, but I
started (and for now, finished) a use case for Open Library: how I
would like to use it for cataloguing (my) books. I put it on the wiki
in a subpage of my profile:
http://openlibrary.org/people/bencompanjen/cataloguing (it is a wiki,
although if you can edit that page, you're either me or an admin).

There is a short bit in it about the boundaries among editions, but
assumes the definition of a book is understood (or perhaps: defined)
by the reader. As far as I know, Open Library has never had a clear
definition of book, let alone a strict enforcement of a definition.
The web interface of course shows OL's expectation of what aspects of
books can be described, but that hasn't stopped people from entering
shoes, pills, and err, no wait... ;)
On a more serious note, I've seen a lot more than the traditional
books (judging by the format): audio and video recordings, brochures,
objects and artefacts etc. Not books per se, but things you do find in
libraries.

Every definition that crosses my mind at this moment is at best
incomplete, so I won't write any here. I'd say: if you think your
thing is a book, that's fine with me (N.B.: you don't need my approval
:D). Also, if it doesn't perfectly fit the edit form in the way you
want, explain it in the notes.
For my use case a partial description is fine if you can tell one
edition from another.

There must have been good discussions on this topic before, but I was
too lazy to search the archives [1, 2] myself.

Ben

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/ol-tech@archive.org/
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/ol-discuss@archive.org/