This is the third one of these that I've seen. There was a huge merge
involving Barbara Cartland and a ton of unrelated romance authors and
another one I saw a few days ago. I've been emailing them to Anand,
but they haven't been getting fixed. Here is one example.

http://openlibrary.org/works/OL14862506W/Heiress

There's a revert option but it times out. I think some of these are
either malicious or someone just goofing around or experimenting. The
people I've seen doing this sort of thing usually have very few other
edits and never come back. I usually block people who do giant
disfiguring merges so that we can talk to them and make sure it was an
accident and not vandalism

> 1) Jessamyn - can you add a Q to the FAQ of the sort "Help, I made a
> huge mess!"? I guess it should say to end email to help, and include the
> URL of the page involved in the mess.

Good idea, yes. I've been making the FAQ more closely match the actual
questions we've been getting and I think it's time to start adding
more things that address larger issues like this one and also the fact
that we basically have only volunteer support and a skeleton dev team.

> 2) Can we get the community page listed on the home page? Then we can
> link from that to the FAQ as well. (In fact, I find the Help page
> singularly unhelpful at the moment

Part of the issue here  is that while I have the ability to edit FAQ
pages and answer email, I don't have much interaction with anyone else
or ability to edit system-type pages. So the Help page is a relic of
when this place was a more staffed concern and it probably needs to be
redone somewhat. I'll write something to the list later getting
suggestions for this. I find the videos unhelpful, but maybe that's
just me. In any case, yes, some adjustments are warranted.

> Maybe that's just a matter of starting
> up a page and making it a discussion?

I was thinking about that also. I don't know if it might be possible
to use something like Discourse for this. I point to the Adobe forums
a lot, it would be nice to be able to point to our own interactions.
This mailing list doesn't even have public archives.

> 4) Related to #3, there isn't a way that I can see to "watch" a page and
> be notified about changes. I still see a need for a full-fledged wiki
> for some of this work.

There have also been items added from IA that are readable in OL but
non-wikified. This has been a source of concern from some authors who
find their works in OL attributed to "unknown author" but then they
can't edit it.

So I'm back doing stuff on Monday and I'll add some of this to the "to
do" list then.

Jessamyn